Wednesday, May 27, 2009

burning blue and green into our veins, the sun shines down once again

The rains have stopped!

We had our first HIV/Aids session with the teachers
We had a great three day program with Pep-Far in April and I am now working with the obstetriz, profe Juanita and my friend Fabiola in the high school. Two sessions with the teachers then 1 class a month per classroom for five months culminating in a Feria open to the town where each classroom will present on something that they learned.

As secretary of the party planning committee I am proud to announce we raised 700 nuevo soles (a little over $300) for our Expo feria we are planning in July.

It is shaping up to be like a small county fair a place where people can sell their fruits and veggies, cheese, coffee, deserts, weavings etc… and we are having a Gastronomic contest between the restaurants. Oh and the veterinarians want to offer services on how to care for animals and Tio Julio said he’d provide the worms to promote worm composting.

Tio Julio ordered five honeybee colonies!

I went camping at the beach for Easter with some excellent company ate waffles did yoga, sang round bonfires and danced on the beach

The other day Vince and I rode our bikes to Piura. It took me 7 hours to come within 51K. And I decided it wasn’t worth it anymore to ride through the Piuran desert so I jumped on a bus.
I am part of the activities committee for Valor.

This is a three-day camp for high school boys where we have sessions on planning for the future, responsibility, leadership etc. We are organizing frozen t-shit contests, capture the flag, scavenger hunts and lots of stuff to keep us active and deserving of the pool after running around all day in the Piuran sun.

The kids and I are organizing a movie night here in Canchaque to raise funds for them to go for free.
My English song club is all right the kids come and go. But we are learning High School Musical songs so later we can learn the dances that go with them!

The high school is inaugurating their Center for Ecological Recreation for their anniversary next week. I am helping with the garden, we have cucumber, spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce, celery and cabbage growing, and I am still searching for eggplant seeds. They are also building this little cabin out of Bamboo which will be really fun for camp outs and maybe cooking classes?


I will have a few visitors in these next months, which I am excited about beyond description.
If only I had so much to do this whole time. But then I wouldn’t have made the friendships I did. I see now that there is a strong bond built between people suffering from constant drizzle and lack of activities.

No comments: